Comprehensive Exam Track:
Is composed of 33 Credit Hours/700 level, that includes: 24 credit hours of core courses and 9 credit hours of elective courses.
- The Comprehensive exam as its name suggests consists of a set of comprehensive questions to measure the learning outcomes of the Master Program, and to measure the ability of the student to employ what he/she learned to solve real and practical problems. The exam is administered at the end of the third week of every semester including Summer Semester.
- The Exam is organized into two parts, each is assigned a time slot of two hours.
- Students are admitted to the Comprehensive exam only after the completion of their course work, and only if their GPA is 3.0 or above.
- If a student fails the Comprehensive exam, he/she is given a second chance only. If he/she fails, he receives a Diploma, but will not be granted the Master Degree.
- Is composed of 33 Credit Hours/700 level, that includes: 18 credit hours of core courses, 6 credit hours of elective courses and 9 credit hours for a thesis.
- Thesis Defense Committee.
The defense committee consists of the following members:
- Advisor (the chair of the defense committee).
- C-Advisor (if assigned).
- Two qualified Faculty Members.
- Qualified External Member.
The time and date of the defense should be approved by the Graduate Studies Council. A copy of the thesis must be submitted to the Committee members one month prior to the defense date.
The defense procedure consists of the following steps:
- Student starts by presenting a summary of his/her work
- The committee chair leads the discussions
- Once the discussions are over, committee members vote on one of the following outcomes:
- Fail: If the committee decides to fail the student, he/she is awarded a Diploma, given his/her GPA is 3.0 or above.
- Modifications: Student must modify his/her thesis and present the result within four month period. The outcome is evaluated again by the committee and the result will be either Pass or Fail.
- The Defense committee decision is sent for review by the department council, faculty council, and finally the graduate studies council within two weeks of defense date.