How LRS works
- Two week after the start of the semester, the instructor will be able to evaluate the class in general, and spot the students who require special attention in a specific English skill.
- The instructor will fill in a referral form (attached) specially designed for such skill and will mark the area/s of weakness of such particular student.
- The Referral Form is designed in a way to include the following: (subject to amendments as required)
- Personal information on the referred student: name, year, major, etc.
- List of skills, topics, areas for ticking off.
- Degree of weakness: 1 weak 2 very weak 3 seriously weak.
- Date/s of each visit
- Action/s taken by LRS on each visit.
- Signature of the student on each action
- Student's response after each visit (i.e. responded, assignment performed, no response, ongoing, etc.)
- Name of referring Instructor
- Any other notes or remarks.
- The student will then visit LRS to meet / fix an appointment to meet the LRS instructor.
- Upon meeting with the student, the manager will reassess the case and promptly respond to the student's requirement.
- Depending on the case, the remedy may take the form of a direct answer, provision of hand out, exercises, reading materials tailor made class/es, assignment/s or a research, as the case may be.
- The student will be provided with a Remedial Plan (Attached) specifying the materials given and actions taken.
- The student will go back to the instructor to review the Remedial Plan provided by RLS for
- Approval or for making any necessary amendments or additions.
- A personal file (hard /electronic copy) will be created for each visiting student as a record, to be used as a reference and for progress report/s. This will include:
- The Referral Form
- Remedial Plan
- Progress report/s
- Any other notes, remarks or feedbacks.
- The referring instructor will be notified with action/s taken together with a progress report by the completion of each case.
- A copy of the note/s progress report/s will be also furnished to the Head of English
- Each time the student visits LRS, he or she will be reevaluated, necessary actions and notes are duly taken.
- Upon the completion of the sessions assigned for each student, LRS Manager will liaise with the instructor concerned to review the situation of the student and agree on further action/s if required.
- Group classes may also take place for students of similar needs.