The relatioinship between leadership styles and types of organizational culture in orange and umniah telecommunication companies in Jordan:
a comparative research
Hamza Mohammad Saleh AL-Elaumi
A Thesis Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of
Master of Business Administration
University of Petra,
Prof. Hala Abdulqader
The Relationship between Leadership Styles and Types of Organizational Culture in Orange and Umniah Telecommunication Companies
In Jordan: A Comparative Research
Hamza Mohammad Saleh AL-Elaumi
University of Petra, 2014
Under the Supervision of Prof. Hala Abdulqader
This research aims to examine the relationship between leadership styles and organizational culture in the Orange and Umniah telecommunication companies in Jordan. It also aims to investigate and compare between the leadership styles and types of culture in these companies. To achieve these objectives a random stratified sample of (265) employees working at Orange and Umniah companies in Amman/Jordan, was chosen. Leadership styles were measured by means of Burke (1983) instrument which measures the transformational and transactional styles of leadership. Organizational culture was measured by means of Harrison and Stokes (1992) “Diagnosing Organizational Culture” instrument which measures four types of organizational culture: power, role, achievement, and support.
The Statistical Package of Social Sciences (SPSS) was used to test hypotheses and analyze the research data. Results revealed the following:
1. There is no significant difference between the transactional and transformational leadership styles at Orange Company. Mean scores show, however, that transactional style was higher than the transformational in Orange company.
2. There is significant difference between the transformational and transactional style at Umniah Company. The leadership style tends to be transformational style than transactional style.
3. There is significant evidence that the prevailing type of organizational culture at orange is achievement culture and at Umniah is role followed by achievement culture.
4. There is no significant difference between Orange and Umniah companies in power and achievement cultures.
5. There is significant evidence that there are differences between the two companies in role and support cultures. Meanwhile Umniah is higher than Orange in role culture, Orange is higher than Umniah in support culture.
6. There is no significant evidence of the relationship between leadership styles and types of organizational culture at both Orange and Umniah companies.
7. There is no significant evidence of the relationship between leadership styles and types of organizational culture at Orange Company.
8. There is no significant evidence of the relationship between leadership styles and types of organizational culture at Umniah Company.
9. There is no significant evidence regarding the differences between leadership styles and organizational culture types between Orange and Umniah companies.
I would like to thank everyone who helped me in the accomplishment of this research, starting with my research supervisor Prof. Hala Abdulqader, who guided me all through this research till it is completed.
My gratitude also goes to everyone who dedicated some of his time to help me go through the process of finalizing this thesis. To all the friends who helped through this process till it is finally materialized.
I also acknowledge my brothers, and sister for their encouragement and support. Finally my deepest gratitude goes to my parents for their dedication and many years of support, and being the ultimate educators in my life, I credit them for being the foundation that has allowed me to pursue and have me being able to achieve my goals.